Thursday, July 7, 2011

Lucky's Sandwich Co. Challenge(chi)

Chicago's king of overstuffed sandwich is only located a spitting distance from Wrigley field off the Addison red line on Clark and Sheffield.  In this area of Wrigley ville you'll find many Cubs fans scattered out and about.  Having lots of Irish pubs and restaurants, it will give you a slight feeling of being in Ireland until you look up and spot the Willis Tower from afar.  I must advise you not to come during home Cubs game if you want to relax and get a table at any of these pubs and grill.

Inside Lucky's you'll only find a small menu on the chalkboard with only about fifteen items max all consisting of only sandwiches.  It looks nothing like a restaurant, just bar stools and tables that seats about twenty-five heads.  They offer a challenge with the reward of a picture taken and free food.  If you finish three overstuffed sandwiches of your choice in an hour you'll win one free sandwich.  If you finish in half an hour all three sandwiches are free.  

Here are the rules, you'll have about six different kind of sandwiches to choose from for your challenge ranging from fish, corn beef, pastrami etc. etc.  Each sandwich weighs about a pound and a quarter and are stuffed with Cole slaw and french fries then are held together with two slices of bread that is almost two inch thick.  You must finish every single scrap that falls in the basket.  It cost about seven dollars per sandwich. 

I took two of my friends to join me and take the challenge.  The pastrami, corn beef and fish was my sandwich of choice.  The first sandwich easily went down for me since I love fish.  I'd soaked the bread in water so it glides down easier. Once I finished the first one I was ready to throw up but I couldn't give up.  What made the second one difficult was the starchy thick fries they stuffed it in.  It was a struggle for me to even take one bite but I manage to finish the whole sandwich anyway.  I couldn't even begin to think what the third one would do to me.  At this point I begin to regurgitate my own food.  That's when I knew it was time for a doggie bag.  I was proud of myself for devouring two sandwiches.  

For most Asians I wouldn't recommend this place for a daily visit.  I've eaten tastier sandwiches around town.  For someone as hungry as me and hadn't eaten all day, the sandwich had no big flavors at all, but if you are a sandwich guy then I would  give this place a try.  although it can be very entertaining to pop in and watch stupid people do stupid things all the while enjoying a nice cold one.  luckysandwich.com

No comments:

Post a Comment