Thursday, December 23, 2010

Orochon Ramen Special Number 2 Challenge L.A.

Downtown Los Angeles California there sits a small Japanese eatery on the third floor in the courtyard of Little Tokyo.  The courtyard contains many shops and eateries spread out on three floors, most cafes including Orochon Ramen has there set up for outside dinning overlooking the Los Angeles skyline.  I was being lazy so I took the elevator up thus looking at my physique proves the extent of my laziness.  As expected the establishment was hopping with no tables ready for us, so we waited patiently.  We didn't mind the wait because it was beautiful outside and a euphoric feeling to finally know we will try the Orochon Spicy Special Number 2 Ramen challenge. The structure of the square is constructed of concrete that resembles Japanese architect with embedded characters and logo along the walls.  Below us is a courtyard filled with trees, benches and tables, but bare in mind we are in downtown Los Angeles so grass is limited in this concrete jungle.  

In a dazed of awe from the unique scenery, I lost track of time until I heard a faint distant voice telling me our table is ready, at first I thought is was my one and only love Taylor swift but then came to the realization it was only Jessica.  We are in Hollywood so you'll never know what celebrity I will attract.  I leaned off the railing and headed inside the eatery but wasn't so easy due to many diners cramming between tables.  The first thing I saw when I got inside was the brown bulletin board with the Man vs. Food host, Adam Richman's photo on it.  I noticed they seem to be all Asians who conquered the bowl except Adam Richman and another person whom were the only gringo.  Hoping me and my friends can add to that wall of fame we quickly sat down and specified to the waiter what we came here to do.  "Bring on the Special Number 2", as we demanded anxiously.

Once the ramen arrived we were inform by the waiter that we have 30 minutes to finish the bowl.  The whole bowl had to  weigh 10lbs easily, it arrived scorching hot temperature wise and it must of been at least a mile in diameter.  My first impression was, "what the hell  was I thinking".  Knowing we will pay for our stupidity in the long run we went ahead anyway.  The noodles were perfect in texture as we took our first bite.  It was actually pretty good despite the heat from the handful of jalapenos and whatever spices they put in there to give it that molten red color of death.  I also noticed bean sprouts, mushrooms,  cabbage and thin slices of beef.  Just imagine slurping on hot water with a handful of  jalapenos dumped in it, you really can't taste nothing except heat from the peppers.  

The first, second, third and fourth bite was okay, but after that, that's when u feel pain.  My head was spinning, hand trembling and head sweating like I just came back from the gym.  Everyone was watching us hoping we would finish and being entertain by our misery.  They were cheering us on hard, but the more they laugh made us laugh hysterically like we were crazy or something.  Snot and tears were flying all over the table as we continue to die laugh spitting and choking on death.  I asked the waiter for milk but they didn't have any, I even put ice cubes in my bowl to cool down the heat.  If anyone knows spicy food they know it's not a good idea to eat something spicy than wash it down with extreme hot liquid.  I've eaten spicier foods so the spice wasn't the problem, it was the temperature of the broth that didn't seem to ever cool down.  

Fifth-teen minutes into the challenge, at this point we were all acting loony and screaming while pounding our hands on the table with each slurp.  My brother even stood up to suck his bowl down like a champ.  I've ask for more napkins to blow my nose and wipe my sweat. I didn't care about our nice clean white shirts getting stained, all I could think about was my face on that wall of fame.  I manage to scarf down all the noodles and chunks of goodies only to be face to face with the molten hot broth, then the inevitable happens, I threw in the towel and surrender.  I just couldn't take it anymore.  My eyes were blinded by agonizing tears, face coated by slimy snot and  my head sweaty from the taste of defeat.  I immediately darted for the restroom and made an excruciating deposit of pain.  Coming back up hurts as much as going down, I braced myself on the wall with both hands after I spewed all over the toilet and let a scream out so loud it could be heard from the Santa Monica pier. Tears, sweat and snot flinging all over the bathroom defying gravity as i shook my head vigorously trying to spew out the stupidity.  

Made my way back to the table with my tail between my legs, I've finished only a quarter of the bowl.  My friend Pun also gave up and only my brother Sam was the last man standing.  He has a quarter left to finish but looks worn out and defeated.  A crowd gather and urged him on to finish.  I tried to cheer him on as much as I could when I suddenly told him it was a stupid idea, he than replied with anger, "it's your damn stupid idea".  With the sweat and snot running down his face he tried one more bite.  Than it happen, he puked all over his bowl which ended his long journey to conquering the spicy ramen challenge.  He left so many disappointed faces behind as he staggers down the stairs with the spicy taste of defeat on his battered tongue.  

Just as we headed for the car his body started to give in.  He could no longer walk or stand on his own will.  We had frantically wandered the courtyard looking for a bathroom.  In the mist of the chaos we lost him because he was in a state of disarray he didn't know where he was.  We later found out he went to get a key from a grocery store for the bathroom.  They wanted him to leave his I.D. card to make sure he return the key, but with pain slowly creeping near his rear end he didn't have time to look for his I.D. so he gave them his whole wallet.  During the evacuation process, the sound that he made in the restroom was horrific and grotesque but hilarious at the same time.  Never again will we try this challenge that resulted to our daily visits to the lavatory that night.  We later than realize why it's called the Special Number 2.  like I said it wasn't so much the spice, it was the temperature of the broth.  
   
    

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I love your blog. This entry was hilarious, we laughed so hard together!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete