Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Sabri Nehari goat brain masala, Chicago

Goat brain masala, sounds disgusting doesn't it? Well in a world of exotic cuisine this ranks pretty high up there in the category of bizarre eats.  There's a family own joint in the Pakistani district  Located near Loyola University, you can find all sorts of Middle Eastern shops, eateries and entertainment along Devon Street. 

I felt like an outsider and that's because I was but my mission was to dine on 'goat brain' and 'nothing was going to stop me'!.  I made my way through the glass door decorated with traditional Pakistani ornaments.  I can already smell the spicy curry aroma, lingering from the kitchen.  The glass tables were cover in crisp white linen with mirrors 360'ing' the room reflecting the elegant throne like red velvet chairs. You can see in the distant the kitchen and it's traditional stone oven with the staff clamoring and stammering about their business.  Over yonder I can see a few well suited gentlemen enjoying their dinner with the curiosity of my presence.  As if it wasn't uncomfortable enough being Asian, I was dinning alone. After taking a few minutes to observe the unique artwork on the walls and ceilings my cerebral delicacy has finally arrived.



goat brain masala
Masala is a traditional Indian curry spice.  From what I can see the dish consist of cilantro, tomatoes and assorted vegetables brewing together with the thick spicy brownish masala sauce and diced goat brain.  It was served with sliced tomatoes, lime, onions and the traditional flat bread on the side.  It smelled very strong and 'gamey', almost like the pungent odor of being in a hospital.  I wasn't looking forward this meal.  My first bite was awful, it was texturally 'wrong' and the spice was too much.  'Brain' has very creamy texture and a fiery hotness flavor with the masala sauce.  I literally gagged and had to follow up each bite with the flat bread and tomato slices.  Me personally just don't like the thought of chowing on brain.

The waiter than came by and ask me how everything was, I then replied calmly, "I can't do it, can I have my bill please"?  He seem offended but that's the truth, no need to lie to him or you.  I Told him "I now can say I tried goat brain".  Puzzled by my comment, he just scoffed at me and scampered off with my bill.  I took only 4 bites then threw in the towel, what did u expect? For me to scarf it down like candy?  It wasn't so much the flavor or the texture, it was the thought of eating 'brain' that was repulsive.  I'm sure they have other dishes that would appeal to me.  If you're adventurous feeder like me, this is as exotic as it gets.     


http://chicago.menupages.com/restaurants/sabri-nehari/





No comments:

Post a Comment